21.11.13

Amanda Helm Poetry


1.    When your friends ask you to hangout, and you don’t feel like it, don’t go. Don’t ever do things halfway or do something that makes you uncomfortable. With everything, give all of yourself, even the pieces you never knew existed.

2.    It is okay to not know. Everyone always despises the phrase, “I don’t know” but no one tells you that it is okay to not know. The becoming is more important than the being, anyways.

3.    If someone ever makes you feel less, in any way, you have every right to walk away. You have every right to cut out toxic people in your life. To close the door on people who make you feel bad about who you are or what you stand for. Friends don’t tear down, they build up.

4.    Loss is always going to happen. Just like paint will always chip and rain will always fall, loss will always be part of life. No matter how much I don’t like it, or avoid it, it is going to walk my way at several times in my life. Learn to embrace it and learn to get closure.

5.    Give yourself a chance. Stop saying, “I don’t think I can” or “But what if I am not able to?” and give yourself a chance. This may be cliche, but try to believe in yourself. When you get older, your knees won’t work the same and you won’t have the best memory, and you are going to wish you’d given yourself a chance years sooner.

6.    Fall in love. Don’t be guarded before you fall in love. You could fall in love three times and still not find the right one, but none of it is going to make “the one” matter less. Don’t fall into that idea that your first love has to be your best love. Fall in love as many times as it naturally happens.

7.    Firsts are going to be messy. First loves, first kisses, first dates, first failed tests, first college class, first time you drive a car, first time you ride a plane - first times were made to be imperfect. Just because it’s messy and all over the place, doesn’t mean it can’t be good or worthwhile.

8.    You want another scoop of ice-cream? Go get it. Get three more scoops of ice-cream if that is what you want. “Fat” is not the opposite of beautiful and it is not the opposite of happy. Don’t let anyone tell you that your body type isn’t beautiful. Beauty is a social construct, create your own, become your own.

9.    Let yourself be alone. Loneliness is not a bad thing. It is healthy and normal. Everyone needs to spend a good portion of their life alone. We learn who we are when we are alone; life is less crowded and more clear when we are alone.

10.If you aren’t happy where you are, change it. Quit your job, move, become a vegetarian, get a new hobby, pick up an old hobby, whatever you do - make sure it benefits you. Life is too short to not be alive, to not be passionate, and overflowing.


I do not claim credit for the images



Starting to feel a bit more inspired to stop digging myself a hole and to start putting my emotions into writing. Like Amanda Helm who has the most incredible poems on her tumblr amandaspoetry. I just want to sort myself out a bit. Write a new bucket list for this summer, which by the way is including Thaiand! I'm going to Thailand in 42 days!! Cantevendeal.

Have to figure out if I want to go ahead and try to get a new job or if I should just stick these two current jobs out until Thailand. If anyone knows of any jobs coming up in Sydney please give me a shout out. 

Sorry I barely blog anymore. I literally just work most of the time and then the rest of my time I try to fill with as much friends and family as possible to ensure my weeks don't just melt away into nothing. Seriously cannot believe Christmas is already here... such a joke. I swear I came home from London just last week. Time flys way too quickly when your older, except when you're at work. 

Will post more soon. Just wanted to quickly share Amanda's poems with you. I spent a good portion of my night reading them, and I highly recommend it. 





erica

No comments:

Post a Comment