2.2.20

Tokyo, Japan I - Arriving in Shinjuku Tokyo & 7/11 food to try



Say goodbye to my dog Sassie with me as we get packed to go to Japan! Hardest part of traveling is leaving her behind.


Here is a summary of what I packed for my 3 week Japan trip. 
- 3 dresses of different lengths and colors
- white & black singlet
- 2 x denim skirts in different colors
- 1 pair of blue jeans
- 3 x flared pants 
- 2 x graphic shirt
- white & black t-shirt

I worked out these 14 items to make up 47 outfits. I did this by taking a photo of each outfit and adding all the images into a new album on my phone titled ‘travel wardrobe’. This was the most helpful packing hack I have ever done. I referred to this album daily and it saved me so much time getting ready every day.

 


Everything I packed easily fit into my carry on & check in luggage with lots of room and weight spare to bring home souvenirs and clothes.I travelled into the airport by train to meet my best friend Lani and her Partner Blake.



Look at me go, finally not traveling  solo. Couldn’t ask for a better pair to explore Japan with. Here we are looking our cutest before our 10-12 hours of travel.




We had a 5 hour layover in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia and ate Irish food. I brought my own tea bags and coffee satchels on the flights to save money. I love my twinnings Morning Tea. Here I ate a turkey and cranberry sandwich with some chips on the side.

Unfortunately when we arrived in Tokyo Japan, we were greeted to this sad sign. Blake’s bag had missed the flight and we wouldn’t receive it until the next day. Luckily it wasn’t lost, just a little late. We took a cab to the hotel APA Hotel Shinjuku Kabukicho Tower.


We arrived pretty late at night as soon as we checked in and dropped our bags we went downstairs to stock up on 7/11 snacks. We bought some sandwiches, eggs, ice cream, sushi and bread rolls, pretty standard 7/11 trip. We also bought an assortment of different alcoholic beverages so we could try as many as possible on this trip. I had a bath that night in my own room. I was sleeping separately to Lani and Blake so it still felt a little like I was traveling ling solo. This bath stopped filling at this exact line, I was very impressed.
















Shinjuku at night is really beautiful. We had a little stroll around on our first night before we headed back to our rooms with our 7/11 food hauls.





The next morning I woke up before everyone else way to eager to explore and try everything there was to try. I went to the hotel’s traditional buffet breakfast and had way too much fun eating all the different breakfast foods. You could get these trays with little squares that made tasting lots of small things really easy. I won’t lie, I can’t name a lot of what you are looking at but I can say for certain, it was delicious! I love the shoyu eggs they serve everywhere in Japan. They are marinated in soy sauce and are so yummy.



There was a combination of fish, tofu, egg, miso soup, sausage, rice of course and some other miscellaneous mostly seaweed based items.


Back at 7/11 for the aesthetic and for my daily serving of onigiri. My favorite flavor was the flying fish roe, spicy salmon and spicy tuna in that exact order.




What food to try at a Japanese 7/11?
I would highly recommend trying as much as you can when you are travelling, that’s how I always find my favorite snacks. Here are a few of my absolute must eats:
- The sandwiches especially the chicken and egg varieties, they are soft and fluffy and always taste as if they were just cooked
- Onigiri, great as a snack at any time of day. Its a triangle of rice, seaweed and your favorite filling packed in a convenient and delish little snack. Opening these packets is a core memory of my trip
- Pasta in particular the spaghetti I don’t know why, it just tastes so good here
- Gyoza is delicious and comes with its own sauce

As you can see in the photos, there are a lot of single items like seaweed, crab, eel, pickles and lots of other toppings. You can create your own mini meals based on your preferences, this was so much fun. Every 7/11 has areas where you can heat your food and anything you might need to enjoy that meal, they have. I just love Japanese 7/11 so much.



The ciggarettes we shamelessly were obsessed with in Japan because they were aesthetic and black and tasted like vanilla. I don’t really smoke anymore but when traveling..




We spent the next morning exploring the Shinjuku area, not as bright as at night but still just as colorful and magical. We visited a number of arcades and played a whole lot of claw machines. 






When we got back to the hotel at lunch, Blake’s bags had finally been delivered by Malaysia Air. Still confused how they didn’t end up there when we arrived.That afternoon we went to the movies and got to see Detective Pikachu because it was playing at a cinema near us in English. Stay tuned to hear more about our adventures through Tokyo all the way to Osaka!














No comments:

Post a Comment