5.8.20

Osaka, Japan V Fushimi Inari Shrine Kyoto


Join me for another visit to the incredible Kyoto. You can read about my last visit on this blog post.


I never realised how much I needed cubed sushi in my life.


How to get to Kyoto from Osaka:

This is another great day trip you can fit into your JR Rail Pass depending on how many days you are signed up for. You are required to travel to these places on consecutive days, so it is best to plan your itinerary before you go. The quickest way to get from Osaka to Kyoto is via the Shinkansen service with runs from Shin-Osaka Station to Kyoto Station. The bullet train only takes 15 minutes which is honestly incredible. I wish every country had bullet trains. Imagine travelling from Sydney to Perth on one of these!



I went ham at one of the many sushi spots at Osaka Station, this one was my favourite because you could make your own sashimi boxes like the one I have beautifully put together here. These are all my absolute favourite sashimis, salmon, tamago (egg), tuna, salmon roe, tobiko, squid and unagi (eel).



At Kyoto station I stopped off for a wholesome little matcha to energise myself for a big day of shrine hiking.



Truth be told I did not see any monkeys during my time here but there were a lot of these signs everywhere.



There are many rules about paying your respects at the shrine. These rules are a symbolic representation of respect to the Kami spirits that reside at this shrine. In order to not offend the spirits as this is a holy place, when entering and exiting the shrine, face the torii and make a bow to the kami.



I am back to visit the infamous Fushimi Inari Shrine located at the base of the Inari Mountain.  Entrance to the park is free. It takes about 2-3 hours to hike to the summit of the mountain and back but you are more then welcome to walk as far as you wish.You will still be able to experience a lot of this place without walking all the way to the summit. As you can see on the map there are many stops along the way that are all unique and have their own special meanings or blessings you can receive. The spot behind me, you can purchase one of the wooden blocks to write a prayer or blessing on for your future and hang it on one of the hooks.



At this spot you wash your hands in a special way to purify oneself with the Temizu. The temizu water fountains can be found in most shrines in Japan. First take the scoop in your right hand, scoop some water and purify your left hand. then take the scoop in your left hand and purify the right. Then you use the scoop to pour some water into your left hand and use it to rinse your mouth, do not drink directly from the scoop. Conceal your mouth with your hand and spit the water while bending over. Finally hold the scoop vertically and use remaining water to purify the handle of the scoop. Return it to its original position for the next person. This is a Japanese custom to purify your body and soul before going to the kami.





And now we walk and wait for quiet moments to take self timer photos.








Top: Seed Heritage
Pants: Tigerlily
Boots: Windsor Smith
Bag: Sol Sana














I brought with me this YSL lippy that was a gorgeous shade of red-orange, perfect for photos and overall vibes.




Hair looking a mess after a big hike





Had a tourist offer to take some shots for me which was really sweet as I was travelling solo this day. I look so uncomfortable haha. I won’t lie I was probably terrified the entire time he would take my camera.
















The local totem for Kyoto is a fox. You will find a lot of statues like this one around the shrines.










This spot was so beautiful, I was in awe at the immense amount of origami cranes that had been so lovingly strung together in all the colours.







Self timer blurriness








These girls asked to get a photo with me so I in turn asked them also. How stunning are their kimonos! I am wearing platform boots so I am looking a bit giant in these shots.














Torii aesthetics




Blessings on blessings


























Here are some more photos of what you will come across on the hike. Platform boots were probably not the best choice, but if my Windsor Smiths could get me through Coachella, they could get me through anything.






You will come along a number of shrines all with their own unique ornaments and blessings.




There are a few bells you will also come across. You can ring the bell to purify yourself, then gently place an offering of coins into the box don’t throw them. Bow twice, clap twice then bow again. Then clap twice and take a moment for prayer or reflection before bowing your head one more time. Always be respectful when visiting these shrines whether or not this is your religion.



The forests your walk through are beautiful and full of these giant bamboo trees.













This bridge was super cute and I made friends with this little resident who seemed quite content to greet everyone and get all the pats.



This was my little ‘take a moment’ spot. I sat and meditated for a while before I started my travel back to Osaka. I have such a profound love for Kyoto I think I will try and stay here next time so I can explore more of the surrounding shrines. I have only really visited this one because I am a little obsessed, but there are so many more gorgeous and historical shrines to visit while you are here.



On the train back there were some insanely loud and drunk Americans that almost ruined the trip home until this baby sat next to me and started making faces at me. The cutest little dumpling I ever did see.


Back to Osaka for more adventures, tomorrow we are off to the famous Kuromon Ichiba Market, see you soon!







erica


 

No comments:

Post a Comment